Sunday, August 23, 2009

WARNA INDIVIDU


Interview with:

Mokhtar Petah [mokhtarpetah]



WRITING
What did you first read? How did you begin to write? Who were the first to read what you wrote?
I'll first start reading Jawi (Arab Skrip) at the age 3 yrs old. The first book is about the history of Islamic warrior story book such as Saidina Ali, Saidina Hamzah etc. I started to write at the age of 15 (1949) when I first saw the praying mantis mating at my family paddy field. The anxiety to write about it because the female eats up the male after mating and start writing in a piece of paper that was available to me since I come from a poor family. It was my father who read it and later who gives support to me to continue writing and that's it until now I'm still writing at my free time and never stop.
What is your favorite genre? Can you provide a link to a site where we can read some of your work or learn something about it?
Well, I've written a lot of novels, politics, bibliography, religious, poems etc, but my favorite is writing short stories and poems. You're welcome to my blog: mokhtarpetah.blogspot.com and also edit-thinker.blogspot.com
What is your creative process like? What happens before sitting down to write?
Well, it comes in many ways, there's no actual process but what happen to me and what I see when I am out anywhere in the society, I'll make note or just keep my head computer.... then when I'm back in my study, I will start writing direct in my computer. I'll writes and writes what ever I can recall whether fiction or non fiction.

Last time after retire from newspaper company, after witting I'll just keep it in my computer or send it to any tabloid but now it goes to my blogspots. Most of it in Malay since I'm a Malay/Arab educated, but I do read English books but not so good in writing in English. I'll writes everyday, anything that's come in my mine, and never stop writing because it will make me sick and feel uneasy unless I'm busy outside but where ever I am there's always stories to be tell.
What type of reading inspires you to write?
There's only 2 types of books that inspires me to write when I'm still schooling in Teluk Anson Perak (one of the state in Malaysia) in 1951 that's Keadilan Masyarakat (aladalatul ijtimaiyah fil Islam) (Justice in Islamic Society) by Hassan al Bannar (Mesir) and Dari Neraka ke Neraka (From Hell to Hell) by Tan Melaka (Indonesia).

Now, I'll read any types of book that interest me and what is available to me anywhere at any place. Reading is a must, writing is a compulsory whether for money or for leisure or just to occupied my time.
What do you think are the basic ingredients of a story?
1. to develop human character to reach humanity
2. to united society without considering their race (in Malaysia we have many races and unity is very important for the prosperity of the country)
3. make the people to believe and devoted to God
What voice do you find most to your liking: first person or third person?
I'll write whatever I think that well give contribution to others and I won't mine people to critic me or my writing. Whether they agrees or not it's OK with me because I'm part of them. I have my own style of writing, people will know by reading my article although I've not written my name or initial. They will know in such a way because the style and language I've used is different from others.
What well known writers do you admire most?
For me its always be Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Syed Quttub, Elexjoessy, Sukarno and Hamka. They are from my early part when once upon a time I am a young, curious journalist, learning and eager to write...
Are you equally good at telling stories orally?
Yes, what's written whether in criticise politician or whatever I thinks what people or society should know so in debating is as good to me. I'm the person who teach Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim to debate when he is in Malay College and I was request to give a speech to the villagers after my wedding in conjunction to Prophet Muhammad celebration. And now I do fulfill request for giving speeches or talks for NGO's or community.
Deep down inside, who do you write for?
For my satisfaction and to educate and share what we have with others. As in Islam, knowledge is to be shared... and what was left behind when my journey in after world is my writing... not wealth to my children.
Does reader feed-back help you?
Yes...
Do you participate in competitions? Have you received any awards?
Seldom. long long ago when I'm young. Now I am already 75 years old, writing is my pleasure. Awards...Maybe when I'm traveling in another world...
Do you share rough drafts of your writings with someone whose opinion you trust?
Yes, my wife
Do you believe you have already found "your voice" or is that something one is always searching for?
Yes... and I am also the first to trained youngster to be journalism that is in 1960 and many my student has succeed in newspaper agency and Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (Malaysia) They are now already retired.
Do you write on a computer? Do you print frequently? Do you correct on paper? What is your process?
Yes... No... That's whats I hate most. Usually my wife / children will do the editing.

I'll write, the publisher will handle the others, I'll check after they have edited so that, it doesn't mislead from what I've written.

If in my blog, after writing I'll just send them, later my son will see to it especially the spelling because when I type my finger and my ideas just doesn't goes together, it's either one will go faster that the other... hope you all understand what I meant.
What sites do you frequent on-line to share experiences or information?
My blog, all are welcome
What are you working on now?
Writing on Malaysian Prime Minister, Dato' Seri Najib Tun Razak, Bibliography Tan Sri Ishak Tadim and Dato' Noh Omar and to rewrite my old old old book that was published in 1960 'Bangsa Melayu Mengugat Dunia'. This book had been used in many research or read by university students and scholars all over the world... So anyone are welcome to read them but in Jawi and it can only be found in universities library.
What do you recommend I do with all those things I wrote years ago but have never been able to bring myself to show anyone?
Well, for me someone should write about human interest and always brings new ideas for the societies, whether they accept or not that difference case.

For me I will continue to write until death, since then I will not stop.

(From whohub.com)

No comments: